Victoria Art Gallery

Back to Blog

Museum/Gallery

Designed in 1897 by John McKean Brydon, the council-run Victoria Art Gallery was named to celebrate Queen Victoria’s 60 years on the throne. A glorious Grade-II building, the exterior features a statue of Queen Victoria by Andrea Carlo Lucchesi, and friezes of classical figures by GA Lawson. It includes over 1,500 decorative arts treasures, and a collection which ranges in date from the 15th century to the present day, including oil paintings by Thomas Gainsborough, Thomas Jones Barker and Walter Sickert.